What is the Halloween Candy Buyback Program?
The Halloween Candy Buyback Program a national effort that any business, school, dental or orthodontic office can join by simply collecting excess Halloween candy from kids and donating their candy to the men and women serving our country overseas inside our Troop and K9 care packages!
In 2013, Move America Forward received its first Halloween Candy Buyback Program candy donation from the Lakeview PTO at Lakeview Elementary School in El Dorado Hills, CA. Since then we have started to accept donations nationwide to meet the need for care packages downrange. We receive requests for care packages everyday and every single piece of donated candy helps us send more boxes to those who need it most, our brave men and women deployed overseas.
How to Participate: Simply Collect Candy and Ship to our Operation Center
Let us know (optional): You can register on the national Halloween Candy Buy Back (HCBB) program website or let us know you will be joining our effort this year via – (916) 441-6197 or email us at [email protected]
When to buyback/collect: Ask for candy right after Halloween. This year’s suggested collection dates are November 1st through 9th, but use whatever dates that work best for you. You will alway collect more candy by giving families multiple days for collection.
Mail us the candy: Please mail donations to “Halloween Candy Buy Back” – Move America Forward @ 3105 Fite Circle Suite 108, Sacramento Ca 95827. No need to fill out any forms, just send your candy or any other collected items! When it arrives our Volunteers will weigh all and account for all donations received. Please include your contact info so we know who to thank. We will send update to everyone towards christmas to everyone that participates!
What else you can send: We also accept messages to the troops from kids, care package requests for deployed loved ones (name/address/email required), toothbrushes, toothpaste or any other items you may want us to ship to the troops (please keep all items in original packaging)
Let the community know: Make a HCBB flyer, many are free online (Example Flyer 1, Example Flyer 2), Move America Forward Logo, Halloween Candy Buy Back Logo, Make a Press Release (2017 Rockville Smiles Press Release, 2017 Image Orthodontics Press Release) and let your community know you are collecting Halloween for the troops. Call local TV/newspapers and radio stations – they will want to share your Halloween Buy Back program with their listeners/viewers (2018, 2017, 2016 MAF Press Release)
Take Pictures and Social Media: Please post pictures of your team collecting candy on social media and you website. You can tag us or email us a link to s[email protected]. We can also provide a link to upload as well. FB Twitter
Help On Shipping: Ask your local service organisations – VFW/American Legion/Kiwanis/Lions/Rotary etc. might jump at the chance to help cover postage costs. UPS/FedEx has also been known to help cover the costs if you ask them. Your best chance is to ask in advance. Give them a call and ask if they would be interested in helping. Freight shipping is also best for larger amounts and the USPS ground is usually cheapest.
Tips for Partners:
- Hang Up Fliers
- Track your candy with a Chart made by staff and colored/signed by people who bring in candy
- Share Images of Troops
- Share Press Release
- Have a Care Package Request forms ready (no cost to request a care package – service member must be deployed)
- Help a local school or PTO! Let them know they can start this year! Contact your Orthodontist, one of our founding partners, Rockville Smiles, awards students $1 for every pound of candy donated and on top of that awards the school with the most candy a check matching the total amount donated from that school
Tips for Parents:
- Ask your son/daughter who is donating to write a letter for the Military Member they are giving their candy to
- Stress what this gift means to someone that is so far from home and how big of a impact sharing makes
- Ask family and friends to join you, make it competition
- Find out if you know anyone deployed and send us the address, we will make sure they receive a care package (Request package/Donate package)
Tips on Shipping:
- If shipping to us use method most cost effective for your organization.
- USPS seems to be most cost effective but Freight companies and other companies might want to sponsor your delivery, they just need to be asked!
- Please include all proper contact information so we can send out thanks (Name, Company, Address, Email, Phone)
Big thank you to all of our previous participants and to anyone joining us this year! Thousands of brave soldiers, marines, sailors, and airmen will benefit from receiving a care package from home with a little Halloween spirit inside. Move America Forward sends these boxes with love to our troops wherever our troops are in need. The Halloween candy from participants of the Halloween Candy Buyback Program make a huge impact!