Halloween Candy Collection Program
In 2016 Move America Forward launched our very first “official” Candy Collection Program where we encourage members of the community to turn-in Halloween candy to be used in our Troop and K9 care packages. Lakeview PTO in El Dorado Hills, CA has been collecting candy for us for a couple of years and that gave us the idea to reach out to others. Participating organizations, schools and of course any Orthodontics and Dentist offices are welcome to join us in our effort in 2017!
In our initial year Lakeview Elementary, Image Orthodontics and 8 other Sacramento area participants collected over 3400 pounds of candy. That is almost 3 Metric TONS of support for our Heroes that are serving so far from home!
**In addition to candy we also accept letters/messages for the troops (unsealed), toothbrushes/or other oral hygienic care items, requests for support and any monetary donations for care packages!**
How to Participate: Collect/Buyback
Simply collect candy for the troops and let us know at Info@MoveAmericaForward.org or call us at 916 441 6197. This year’s suggested candy pick up and collection will take place November 1st through the November 6th, the weekend following Halloween. Pick up times are flexible and Move America Forward is happy to receive and pick up at your convenience before or after the suggested timeframe. Participants are encouraged to take pictures, collect messages for the troops, and accept/collect other items for the care packages. The important part is making sure that our troops receive the warmth and love of home! (we accept any items in original packaging – yes toothbrushes are accepted)
One of our founding partners in 2016, Image Orthodontics, awards children $1 for every pound of candy they bring in and then donates as well, please see their 2016 Press Release
What we do:
Move America Forward will distribute all candy collected by participating organisations via our Top Rated Care Package Program. If you are outside our area you can ship your candy directly to Move America Forward’s Operation Center where all the care packages are assembled:
ATTN: Candy Buy Back Program
Move America Forward
3105 Fite Circle, Suite 108
Sacramento, CA 9527
Example Press Release (coming soon)
Isn’t Candy Bad for Kids and Troops?
- Care Packages deliver something priceless, the taste of home. While our troops serve so far from home and in harm’s way; items like candy might not be the most healthy but often remind them of being home with their loved ones and happy. It is gift and don’t forget these care packages include many other items like toothbrushes!
Tips for Parents:
- Ask your son/daughter who is donating to write a letter for the Military Member they are giving their candy to
- Stress what this gift means to someone that is so far from home and how big of a impact sharing makes
- Ask family and friends to join you, make it competition
- Find out if you know anyone deployed and send us the address, we will make sure they receive a care package (Request package/Donate package)
Tips for Partners:
- Hang Up Fliers
- Track your candy with a Chart made by staff and colored/signed by people who bring in candy
- Share Images of Troops
- Share Press Release
- Have a Care Package Request forms ready (no cost to request a care package – service member must be deployed)
- Help a local school or PTO! Let them know they can start this year! Contact your Orthodontist, one of our founding partners, Image Orthodontics, awards students $1 for every pound of candy donated and on top of that awards the school with the most candy a check matching the total amount donated from that school
Tips on Shipping:
- If shipping to us use method most cost effective for your organization.
- USPS seems to be most cost effective but Freight companies and other companies might want to sponsor your delivery, they just need to be asked!
- Please include all proper contact information so we can send out thanks (Name, Company, Address, Email, Phone)